From:
Keith Roberts <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 20 Dec 2012 10:20:48 -0500
Rob,
Thank you for your fine and interesting post. I would make one additional point. Much, perhaps even most of the information that we now have about antiquity comes from research performed long after Hayek and Polanyi wrote--even after the time of Moses Finley. I am a big fan of both Polanyi and Finley, if not of Hayek, but it turns out that they were all being rather speculative in their comments about coinage and markets. Indeed, given how little we really know, so am I.

So here's my speculation about the origin of coins, at least in the West:
I disagree about the invention of coins. Many ideas seem awfully simple in retrospect. But think about what was involved when the Lydians created their coins--the metallurgy, the concept of stamping the output with the king's image and symbolism, and the implementation of their usage. This had to be a calculated, thought-through step, and the Lydians had a very good reason for taking it, given that their source material, electrum, was an unpredictable mixture of gold and silver. The coin was how they standardized their money sufficiently to get Greek mercenaries to accept payment. I have read, and used Reden's book.

Keith