From:
GM Ambrosi <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Sat, 22 Dec 2012 11:45:59 +0100

certainly it would be naive to think that at Heracleitus' time all the
necessities (_chremata_) were exchanged in Ephesos against gold
(_chrysos_) in the form of bullion  because of a literary reading of
Heracleitus' words.

 To me at least it seems obvious that we must translate from
Heracleitus' literary form (here: alliteration) to the economic
content implied and that means that we can infer from his lines that
even at his time it was understood that "gold" stood for means of
payment. The essential point is that it was understood that there was
a circular flow of a lasting  _stock_ of means of payment as
counterpart for a _flow_  of "necessities" which are consumed and
produced, which vanish and re-appear. But if Rob thinks that that
stock  was gold bullion at Heracleitus' time, OK. It does not make a
great difference with regard to the issue of the thread: were ancient
market economies  similar to  black market economies in modern
centrally planned economies? I think Rob agrees that they were not.

There is also his interesting reference to
 "Commercial stamp seals  already 3,000+ years old."
But what does that mean? Why did that use not continue?  One of many
possible explanations  is that there was too much fraud involved: a
seal was given as "key" to a valuable deposit. When the entitled
person opened the deposit it did not contain what was claimed that
there was. Therefore the next time  a payment obligation had to be
met, the payment-seal itself had to be of the agreed value, thus
avoiding recourse to a potentially fraudulent deposit. Thus payment by
credit (belief-money using seals or documents on clay tablets) might
have   become payment by  precious coin money, its main characteristic
being that the seal itself becomes the valuable deposit, the seal
imprint being  on electron or gold or silver.  But once established,
precious coin money could become  token money, even  as a creation of
a _democratic_  political system (literature: Aristophanes,  Plato)
Michael Ambrosi

--
Prof. em. Dr. Dr.h.c. G.M. Ambrosi
Jean Monnet Professor "ad personam"