From:
Pat Gunning <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 21 Jan 2010 19:50:10 -0500
Peter, Roger, Steven, Altug:

There seem to be several issues here. The Coase Theorem concerns
government policy toward external effects. The Coase article on
social cost, in my view, contains a momentous contribution to the
theory of property rights and entrepreneurship, as I have said. This
is a broader contribution than that represented by the Coase theorem.
Thus, concern with the meaning of the Coase Theorem is, in my view, a
narrow concern. Similarly, whether Coase correctly represented Pigou
is, in my view, a narrow concern.

The narrow concern with the Coase theorem has become popular because
of the very understandable interest by mainstream economists with
policy issues. Two particular policy issues have attracted attention.
The first is the theoretical issue of taxes vs. regulation. This is
the issue that has been seized on in the textbooks because it is so
easy to represent technically and also because of the fact that the
dichotomy lends itself to empirical studies. The second is the
practical public policy question of comparing different means of
causing a policy outcome. I presume that this is what Peter and you
are writing about when you use the phrase "comparative institutions."
This term is also used by Demsetz in his 1969 "Information and
Efficiency" paper, where he introduces the "Nirvana approach".

This was not the Demsetz contribution to which I was referring when I
suggested that a study of his works would reveal more about the
broader concerns of Coase (see below for more specific references).
Nevertheless, these broader concerns are relevant to a comparative
institutions (and Public Choice) analysis. One who recognizes Coase's
broader concerns would be inclined to (1) define an institution in
terms of the legal and non-legal rights implied in the definition of
the institution and (2) to describe the effects of the institution's
behavior on market interaction by referring to entrepreneurship.

The broader concerns are not relevant to a comparison between a
Nirvana approach to policy issues and a comparative institution
approach. Also, the broader concerns are not relevant to the issue of
whether Coase interpreted Pigou correctly.

I hope that one does not lose sight of the broader contribution that
Coase made.

A point of interest: In briefly examining the Demsetz 1969 article
again, where he introduces the Nirvana approach, I did not notice any
mention of Pigou. Perhaps by 1969, Coase's misinterpretation was
already recognized.

None of this, of course, has anything to do with how Coase is
represented in textbooks, I am embarrassed as an economics teacher to say.

Demsetz, Harold.(1969) "Information and Efficiency: Another
Viewpoint" Journal of Law and Economics. 12 (1): 1-22.

Other Demsetz contributions to property and entrepreneurship:

Demsetz, Harold, "The Exchange and Enforcement of Property Rights,"
Journal of Law and Economics, October, 1964.

Demsetz, Harold. (1968) "Why Regulate Utilities?." Journal of Law and
Economics. 11 (1): 55-65.

Demsetz, Harold.(1966) "Some Aspects of Property Rights." Journal of
Law and Economics. (October).

Demsetz, Harold. (1967) "Toward a Theory of Property Rights."
American Economic Review. 57: 347-73.

Demsetz, Harold. (1970) "The Private Production of Public Goods."
Journal of Law and Economics. 13: 293-306.

Demsetz, Harold.(1972) "When Does the Rule of Liability Matter?"
Journal of Legal Studies 1 (1): 13-28.

Demsetz, Harold.(1972) "Wealth Distribution and the Ownership of
Rights." Journal of Legal Studies 1 (2): 223-232.

Demsetz, Harold, "The Structure of Ownership and the Theory of the
Firm," Journal of Law and Economics, June, 1983.

Demsetz, Harold, "Purchasing Monopoly," Chapter seven in David C.
Colander (ed.), Neoclassical Political Economy, Cambridge, Mass.:
Ballinger Publishing Company, 1983.

Demsetz, Harold.(1997) "The Firm in Economic Theory: A Quiet
Revolution." The American Economic Review. 87:8 (426-9)

Alchian, Armen and Harold Demsetz. (1972) "Production, Information
Costs, and Economic Organization." American Economic Review. 62 (5): 777-95.

Alchian, A. and H. Demsetz, "The Property Rights Paradigm," Journal
of Economic History, March 1973.

Pat Gunning