SDOH Archives

Social Determinants of Health

SDOH@YORKU.CA

Date:
Thu, 27 Jun 2013 18:37:46 -0400
The Mad Hatter and the Mad Pride Hamilton Organizing Committee
cordially invite you and your friends to tea.

What: A Mad Hatter’s Tea Party in celebration of Mad Pride in Hamilton

When: Saturday, July 27th from 1-5pm (tea at 1, open mic starts at 2)

Where: First Pilgrim United Church / 200 Main Street East, Hamilton
(wheelchair accessible)

Who: All Mad people, consumer/survivors, people with lived experience
or labeled with ‘mental illness’, those who experience
distress/visions/voices/alternative realities/extreme states, and
friends/supporters

Cost: FREE!

What to bring:
Your wackiest hat – or make one when you get here
A tea cup – if you can (you'll take it home with you again)
Your creativity
Your laughter (and tears)
Your pride (and shame)
Your poetry, music, art, humour, ideas to share during an open mic
Collage materials (like old newspapers/magazines, scissors)
Tummy room for snacks!

If you’re a consumer/survivor and would like to request table space at
our Mad Market to show/sell your artwork, crafts, knitting, buttons,
blog info, peer support group brochure, etc., please contact us as
soon as possible by emailing [log in to unmask] or leaving a
voice-mail message at 289-768-4001 or 647-931-7563.

 289-768-4001 / 647-931-7563
@MadPrideHammer
Facebook: Mad Pride Hamilton
Join and share our Facebook event: www.facebook.com/events/643543019008834
madpridehamilton.tumblr.com

Please help spread the word!

Submit to our zine (do-it-yourself magazine self-published through
photocopying) by July 1st: www.facebook.com/events/248509838623904.

Do you want to join our Mad Pride Hamilton Organizing Committee to
help us plan? Or perhaps you can spare some time on or before July 27
to volunteer? Email us.

Mad Pride is an arts, culture, and heritage festival created by
psychiatric survivors, consumers, mad people, and folks the world has
labeled ‘mentally ill’ (www.madprideto.com). It offers an alternative
way for consumer/survivors to get together to celebrate our lives and
community instead of the usual telling of individual personal stories
of illness and recovery.

Mad Pride has been celebrated around the world for over 20 years. This
year marks the 20th anniversary of Mad Pride festivities in Toronto
(July 8-14) – and the first year of celebrations in a number of other
Canadian cities including Ottawa, Montreal, Winnipeg, and Hamilton!

Why ‘Mad’? We’re using the term ‘Mad’ (as in madness, not an acronym),
like many others, as an umbrella to reference the equity-seeking group
of people who individually and collectively use a variety of
self/together-identifiers including those listed above as well as:
people with lived experience, people in recovery, and people with
psychiatric disabilities. It ties us to a long history of Mad people
and Mad social justice movement organizing that predates those labeled
with ‘mental illness’ since psychiatry’s invention and proliferation
over the last 200 years.

The Mad Pride Hamilton Organizing Committee is a group of local
community members - self-identifying Mad people and our supporters. It
was struck in May 2013 by Hamilton members of the Mad Students Society
(www.madstudentsociety.com / www.facebook.com/MadStudentSociety), a
national peer support group of students who have experienced the
psychiatric system that has been meeting bimonthly in Hamilton since
September 2012. (Next meeting: July 3rd. Email
[log in to unmask] to join.)