From:
Steve Hoffman <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Thu, 2 May 2013 23:11:22 -0400
I would just add a word of warning.

The one time I took Mr. Salwen's tour, it was
problematic in that he doesn't limit the size of
the group, and we ended up with a group that was
too large, and since Mr. Salwen refused to use any
sort of amplification for his voice, it was
difficult for many of us to hear him without a lot
of jostling for position....  And he does not have
a voice that projects especially well, so some
sort of amplification is really necessary unless
he limits the group size.   Moreover, it was often
awkward for the rather large audience to stop,
look, and listen at the various landmarks because
the sidewalks were already crowded and in some
cases storeowners objected to us blocking their
store entrances.

Mr. Salwen does know his stuff, and various Mark
Twain/New York City connections are fascinating to
anyone interested in Twain or in NYC history, but
he really needs to limit the # of people in his
group in order to make his tours a satisfactory
experience for the public.

-Steve Hoffman
Takoma Park MD
(originally from NYC)