From:
Alan G Isaac <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 23 Jul 2012 23:03:57 -0400
On 7/23/2012 7:09 PM, michael perelman wrote:
> I don't think that anybody described themselves at the as Progressive
> to make a left-wing identification.

Nevertheless, they did use the term to draw contrasts.

Again from Sanger:

     "We are living not in a simple and complete
     civilization, but in a conflict of at least two
     civilizations, based on entirely different fundamental
     ideas, pursuing different methods and with different
     aims and ends.
     I will call one of these civilizations our Traditional
     or Authoritative Civilization. It rests upon the thing
     that is, and upon the thing that has been. It insists
     upon respect for custom and usage; it discourages
     criticism and enquiry. It is very ancient and
     conservative, or, going beyond conservation, it is
     reactionary. ...
     Contrasted with the ancient civilization, with the
     Traditional disposition, which accepts institutions and
     moral values as though they were a part of nature, we
     have what I may call—with an evident bias in its
     favour—the civilization of enquiry, of experimental
     knowledge, Creative and Progressive Civilization."

Any discussion of progressivism that fails to grapple with
the contrasts  intended by those who self-identified as
progressive is useless, don't you think?

Alan Isaac