From:
Anthony Waterman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 26 Oct 2012 17:57:40 -0500
We may indeed look in vain for anything resembling a demand curve in
Smith  or Ricardo, but this is decidedly not the case with Malthus --
increasingly regarded as Smith's most knowledgeable successor and
Ricardo's most cogent critic. Anyone who cares to consult Malthus's
pamphlet on The High Price of Provisions (1800) will discover a demand
function specified arithmetically, which exhibits the traditional
negative slope when graphed. I have discussed this, and considered some
of its unusual features, in my article 'Malthus, Mathematics and the
Mythology of Coherence' (HOPE 1998). That article includes references to
the previous secondary literature on Malthus's demand function.

Anthony Waterman