From:
mason gaffney <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 12 Sep 2013 19:04:16 -0700
At the beginning of the 20th Century there was a strong residue of
religious-based morality one could almost take for granted. It was part of
The Progressive Movement.  Even Andrew Mellon, in the 1920s, wrote that
labor income should be less taxed than property income, as in general it
was.  With the mid-Century ascendancy of Chicagoism that was lost: virtue
was income, however acquired, and wealth was accumulated virtue.

I am sure there were those who objected, and others (a majority now it
seems) who defended the new morality. My question to this group is: who, in
what work, most effectively disputed the new morality; and who, other than
obvious choices like Friedman and Stigler, most effectively defended it?

Thank you,
Mason Gaffney