From:
Roger Sandilands <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 27 Aug 2014 21:29:20 +0000
A propos Ric Holt's last post, perhaps I could give a different perspective on Seymour Harris (and the role of tenure in emboldening faint-hearts), than conveyed in Galbraith's 1974 letter to Mrs Harris (presumably a letter of condolence on her husband's death). The following paragraph is from my "The New Deal and 'Domesticated Keynesianism' in America", in Michael Keaney (ed.), Economist with a Public Purpose: Essays in Honour of John Kenneth Galbraith, London and New York, Routledge, 2001:-

Galbraith describes the fuss when Alan Sweezy and Raymond Walsh (both signatories [with Currie] of the 1934 letter to Roosevelt) were singled out for termination in 1937. One of their main rivals was Seymour Harris. Paul Samuelson recalls (Colander and Landreth, 1996: 155) that when he asked his Chicago professors in 1935 which graduate school he should attend, he was warned by Lloyd Mints that at Harvard Seymour Harris was an inflationist. “This is interesting”, said Samuelson, “because if you read The Economics of the Recovery Program, 1934, you’ll see that Harris, not yet having tenure at Harvard and still under the influence of Harold Hitchings Burbank, is a stout reactionary. Lloyd Mints must have had some keen sense of smell, because after Harris did get tenure he became a flaming Keynesian.” Currie later remarked sourly that he converted only when it was safe to do so. As Galbraith (1977: 220) put it: “In economics one should not be right too soon. The shrewd scholar always waits until the parade is passing his door and then steps bravely out in front of the band.” When Galbraith was seeking tenure in 1939 he interviewed for a post at Princeton, confident this would be a catalyst to promotion at Harvard. Instead, at dinner in the home of the chairman of the Princeton economics department he was handed a telegram from Burbank. It stated that he had just come from a meeting with president James Bryant Conant; that his Harvard prospects were very dim; and that he would be advised to take any post that was offered by Princeton.

- Roger Sandilands