From:
Alan G Isaac <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 10 Dec 2013 11:32:58 -0500
On 12/10/2013 9:05 AM, Rob Tye wrote:
> One of them had the title "Better History Books", as I best recall, and it
> was the minutes of an international UNESCO conference on that subject, in
> Paris, around 1950.

It is cited here:
http://digitool.library.mcgill.ca/webclient/StreamGate?folder_id=0&dvs=1386692478320~473

Here is the context:

         "[Textbooks" have it in their power to promote
         goodwill between nations, rather than perpetuate, by
         repetition, long-standing grievances in which the
         embers of hatred, bitterness, misunderstanding and
         revenge smoulder as the basis fuel for renewed conflict."

More than half a century later, the manipulation of
"history" textbooks to inflame grievances appears widespread.
So to this extent, it is hard not to sympathize with the
overt UNESCO goal, however much one might reasonably fear getting
the UN involved in building historical narratives.

Anyway, it would be great if you could scan the minutes and,
if copyright allows, post it and send the URL to this list.

Cheers,
Alan Isaac