Date:
     A few more thoughts:
     All investment is not alike.  That is, investment which implements
innovations is of a different nature than investment that simply
replicates what already exists.  The latter must precisely keep pace
with population growth for a society just to remain in the same place.
But innovation that improves productivity uses investment dollars
(or time or whatever) more efficiently:  that is, the contribution
to economic growth is greater than simply replacing worn-out
capital with an identical counterpart.
     And to echo others, the negative impact of investment to spur
growth must be taken into the calculation as well -- we have to
be far more aware of implicit and long-run costs that are left off
the enterprise balance sheet, are difficult to calculate, but are
significant if growth is to be equated with wellbeing.
     -------------
     The other point is that if there is no reason for the government
to favor savings over consumption, and likewise no reason to favor
consumption over savings -- in terms of the government's behavior
in the economy -- then we can think of the redistributive effects
of government activity as simply that: redistributive effects.
     Lesson One of the New Deal, for example, is that it failed to
pull the United States out of the Great Depression.
     But Lesson Two is that it saved individuals - people -- old
people, children, families -- from utter destitution.
     Suppose that the New Deal (as an example) was neutral in terms
of its macroeconomic effects.  Then it becomes a matter of social
values whether it is right to tax the comfortable to prevent the
children and the elderly from starving (quite literally).  We might
quibble over the efficiency with which we could meet that goal.  But
the argument that redistributive policies are perverse because they
dampen economic growth has far less merit than the classical economists
or the current crop of Chicago neoclassical economists believed.  And
perhaps you do not NEED Keynes' hopeful analysis that redistributive
policies would do a better job of encouraging growth than those
promoting savings (and hence favoring the wealthy, as has been pretty
much agreed upon by economists for over a century, as having a greater
propensity to save portions of their income than the poor.  We might
add that it also favors the senior population over young parents, too.)
     -- Mary Schweitzer