From:
Ric Holt <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 18 Mar 2014 09:38:54 -0700
I just came across this exchange between Robert Clower and Ken
Galbraith. It sounds like he was accepted to Harvard to do a
doctorate. Did Clower spend anytime at Harvard pursuing a degree? I
don't see any record of it. Maybe others might know.

Ric Holt

P.S. I found a letter that Barak Obama's father sent to Galbraith in
the early 1960s.

From Robert W. Clower

September 23, 1953

Dear Professor Galbraith:

My desire to complete my doctorate at Harvard has now become definite,
thanks to your exchange of letters with Dean Maurice Lee earlier this
year. I don't know what procedure is followed at Harvard in these
matters, but I should be glad if you would arrange to have the
relevant application forms sent to me and I will appreciate any
supplementary information which you think may be helpful. If you
require further data on my career, publications and general interests,
please let me know.

Sincerely yours,

Robert W. Clower

To Robert W. Clower

October 5, 1953

Dear Clower:

I'm delighted that you are to be here next year. Am I right in my
recollection that we talked of the possibility of a teaching
fellowship? I'm afraid that you are going to think badly of me for
raising this question, but I want to be certain that your interests
here (and ours in yours) do not go by default. On the other hand, if I
am wrong and your mind is running to a scholarship, I hope you will
let me know so that I can get the forms to you in plenty of time.

Yours faithfully,

J.K. Galbraith