From:
Avner Offer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 14 Nov 2013 15:13:28 +0000
'of necessity there would be fewer workers required'

Not so. If the capital was not merely labour saving then more output could be produced at the same cost, the higher-paid workers would consume more and this would employ some (or perhaps all) of the lower-paid workers.

Avner Offer

From Avner Offer, Chichele Professor Emeritus of Economic History, University of Oxford
  All Souls College, High St., Oxford OX1 4AL, tel. 44 1865 281404
 email: [log in to unmask]
 personal website:
 http://sites.google.com/site/avoffer/avneroffer