From:
James Forder <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 27 Apr 2014 18:18:20 -0700
Well, that raises the temperature.

Two points to consider. First, Robert says that the AER published a downward-sloping curve, ‘although the data suggests an upward-sloping relationship’. If one is interested in the simple relationship between inflation and unemployment, Samuelson and Solow’s data for the postwar period suggest a downward-sloping curve more or less as they drew it. (This is obvious from the chart on their page 188). The Hall and Hart point is subtler and result arises from a multiple regression rather than the simple inflation-unemployment relation.

Second, we have Robert writing:

‘The HER referee admits that Samuelson and Solow "made a mistake" and, therefore, ... the issue must not be raised in print?’

Here, Robert has taken three words from the source, incorporated them into a sentence saying something quite different from the original, and appended a conclusion which is nothing whatever to do with anything in the quotation - *nothing whatever* to do with it.

Perhaps at this stage I had better declare that I am the referee whose report has so offended Robert (although I wrote ‘principal problem’ :)). I wonder whether Robert could address three points:

1. From what does Robert form the impression that I thought the issue ‘must not be raised in print’?

2. My report suggests (not ‘admits’, if you please) that Samuelson and Solow made a mistake, but not the mistake suggested by Hall and Hart. Robert surely does not mean that if we see one mistake we should support the publication of papers alleging other, different, ones. But then, what does he mean to suggest?

3. As I understood Rich Hart’s post, he was reporting that a referee had drawn attention to an apparent weakness in the paper, and the authors had incorporated a footnote to address it. Evidently the paper was then published. What deficiency does Robert detect in this process?

I wonder whether the explanation is just that Robert’s email was overhasty and he would now like to apologize for it. If so, I would like to have that apology. But if not, I hope he will respond to these points in a way that will make it possible for us to understand what it is that justifies his post.

James