From:
Ric Holt <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 24 Aug 2013 16:53:47 -0700
Since the anniversary of Martin Luther King's famous speech and the
March on Washington is approaching below is short letter Galbraith
sent King in 1966.

Ric Holt

(Also the Galbraith quote of the day. In a letter dated September 13,
1977: "One must always be grateful for insights even from our most
esteemed economists. Greenspan says there is an uncertain outlook
because of uncertainty. He excels himself, which is not hard.")

The King Letter:

June 1, 1966

Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.
Southern Christian Leadership Conference
Mt. Auburn Street
Atlanta, Georgia

Dear Dr. King:

            I thought your observations on Face the Nation were
excellent—and pleasantly in contrast with the self-righteous, assured
and humorless commitment to reactionary nonsense of one or two of your
interrogators. Maybe I do them an injustice; possibly they were only
trying to project the proper image.

            On Vietnam, however, I am increasingly persuaded that we
should emphasize the importance of letting the Vietnamese work things
out for themselves – making it clear that at most we are only holding
a sanctuary for a limited period while they do. And I think we need to
give more attention to this brutal gang we have there for a
government. If Marshal Ky represents freedom of choice as opposed to
coercion, I would be inclined to try Jim Eastland or even Leander
Perez.

 Yours faithfully,

 John Kenneth Galbraith