From:
"Wells, Julian" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 20 Feb 2014 13:28:39 +0000
On 20/02/2014 05:47, "James C.W. Ahiakpor" <[log in to unmask]>
wrote:

>Alfred Marshall
>". . . 'money' is . . . all those
>things which are (at any time and place) generally 'current,' without
>doubt or special inquiry"

>Irving Fisher
> ła bank note is /generally/ acceptable in
>exchange"

Contrast these authorities with the Bank of England:

"Our advice is to remain vigilant at all times and check all banknotes
being passed" (followed by advice about UV scanners and detector pens)

(http://www.bankofengland.co.uk/banknotes/pages/retailers/hintstips.aspx)

In contrast:

Ahiakpor:

>Money doesn't include checks; these don't pass from
>hand to hand without any special inquiry.

Wells:

They do (or did) when accompanied by a cheque card; so was cheque + card =
money?

Similarly, these days when I make an electronic payment from my bank
account, the only "special enquiry" that takes place occurs when *my bank*
decides (or its computer decides) to issue the relevant amount.

n.b. my bank's decision to issue, NOT the recipient's decision to accept.

Julian Wells

Security System.