From:
Robert Leeson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 13 May 2014 05:57:42 -0700
Sudha Shenoy (2003), an LSE student and Hayek's first official biographer ('The Order of Liberty'), recommended a return to the unstable neo-feudal equilibrium (1815-1914) as the road to the Austrian future:

"In the nineteenth century, you had for the first time a worldwide economic order. You had free trade, free movement of people, free movement of capital, a gold standard, falling prices in the latter part of the century, peaceful development, and no major wars between 1815 and 1914. The world’s armies and navies did not know what to do. Yes, there were aberrations like the American Civil War and the Franco-Prussian War, but mostly it was a period of peace. Forty million people moved peacefully because they wanted a better life. There were no expulsions, no wars, no genocides, nothing."

Hayek was contemptuous of the intellectual quality and integrity of his disciples.

Specifically: Shenoy “could not be trusted since she was only an Indian” (cited by Cubitt 2006, 344).

Generally: "I don't have many strong dislikes. I admit that as a teacher--I have no racial prejudices in general--but there were certain types, and conspicuous among them the Near Eastern populations, which I still dislike because they are fundamentally dishonest. And I must say dishonesty is a thing I intensely dislike. It was a type which, in my childhood in Austria, was described as Levantine, typical of the people of the eastern Mediterranean. But I encountered it later, and I have a profound dislike for the typical Indian students at the London School of Economics, which I admit are all one type--Bengali moneylender sons. They are to me a detestable type, I admit, but not with any racial feeling. I have found a little of the same amongst the Egyptians--basically a lack of honesty in them" (Hayek 1978).

"Levantine, typical of the people of the eastern Mediterranean"? Was Hayek referring to Jewish people?