From:
Robert Leeson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 22 May 2014 03:48:37 -0700
Aristocratic power rests on

a. acceptance of the "spontaneous order" of titles;
b. wealth;
c. bayonets.

When the Habsburgs surrendered their monopoly of coercive power to a "republic of peasants and workers" (von Hayek 1978), Hitler provided the white terror bayonets, and Hayek provided a new "spontaneous" order plus religious prophecy: predicting the Great Depression.

Did von Hayek (1978) get away with what appears to be academic fraud - in this instance for almost eight decades - because he was an aristocrat?

"The robber baron was a very honored and honorable person, but he was certainly not an honest person in the ordinary sense. The whole traditional concept of aristocracy, of which I have a certain conception-- I have moved, to some extent, in aristocratic circles, and I like their style of life. But I know that in the strict commercial sense, they are not necessarily honest. They, like the officers, will make debts they know they cannot pay ... Well, of course, that's [intellectual dishonesty] the thing I particularly dislike, but it's not so easy to draw the line. Strictly speaking, of course, every moral prejudice which enters into your intellectual argument is a dishonesty. But none of us can wholly avoid it. Where to draw the line, where you blame a person for letting non-intellectual arguments enter into his intellectual conclusions, is a very difficult thing to decide. One has to pardon a great deal in this field to the human and unavoidable".