From:
Bruce Caldwell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 31 May 2014 12:23:38 -0400
I have kept my silence until now, but this claim is so outrageous on a
number of levels that I can keep silent no longer.
There are around 170 boxes in the Hayek archives. Jeremy Shearmur went
through the entire archives a couple of summers ago and noticed nothing
missing. I have not visited the archives in the summer for a couple of
years, for perhaps obvious reasons, but when I was there last all seemed
intact.
I have heard of no black market for Hayek's things, thriving or
otherwise. Hayek's notes on a meeting with Herbert Hoover and a set of
lecture notes are 2 things that were reported for sale a number of years
ago.
The only person who has worked in the archives regularly, indeed
constantly every summer, is Robert Leeson, who it may be noted manages
to live in tony Palo Alto each summer on a part time visitor's salary
and who seems to know a lot about a thriving black market.
If things are missing, I just don't know what to think.
Bruce

--
Bruce Caldwell
Research Professor of Economics

"To discover a reference has often taken hours of labour, to fail to discover one has often taken days." Edwin Cannan, on editing  Smith's Wealth of Nations

Address:
Department of Economics
Duke University
Box 90097
Durham, N.C. 27708

Office: Room 07G Social Sciences Building
Phone: 919-660-6896
Center website: http://hope.econ.duke.edu
Personal Website: http://econ.duke.edu/~bjc18/