From:
Alan G Isaac <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 31 May 2014 14:51:01 -0400
I can think of two reasons it has not received more
attention.  The pessimistic possibility is that readers just
shrug it off, recalling that even Homer nods. The optimistic
possibility is that most readers are more charitable (less
presumptuous) in their interpretation and, as a result,
rely on context to understand what is being said.

The right way to consider a text that appears prima facie
"absurd" is to question one's initial interpretation.  In
this case, we can read Piketty as applying the Le Chatelier
principal to demand, as his adjacent example of oil makes
clear. While OPEC can drive oil prices up in the short run
by exploiting their market power (deriving from the relative
inelasticity of short-run demand), over time users of oil
will shift to other energy sources, oil demand will fall, and
the price of oil that is "too high" relative to the
available substitutes will be driven down. This in fact seems
to have happened (but of course there were also supply responses).
As Piketty says immediately after the part you  quoted,
such changes might take decades.

Alan Isaac