From:
"Rosser, John Barkley - rosserjb" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 7 Jun 2014 18:03:09 +0000
Rob,
     This will be my last post on this thread.   I shall make two points.
     The first  is that I have not engaged in hagiography regarding Keynes.  I was the one who quoted Samuelson commenting on the paper  by Reder that reported that Keynes was more anti-Semitic than either Schumpeter or Hayek, both of whom were also charged to some degree with this, with Hayek reportedly the least so of the three.   If quoting something like that, which some commentators think is a topic that should not even be discussed, is hagiography, then I would like to know how critical one must become to be viewed as well, demonizing somebody.
      The other is that I have done some checking, and I think that at a minimum you are wildly exaggerating the disagreements and conflicts between Russell and Wittgenstein.  As Alan reported, Russell did say some extremely complimentary things about Wittgenstein, although apparently there was hostility between Popper and Wittgenstein.  Maybe during the 20s there was some hostility, but after Frank Ramsey invited Wittgenstein back to Cambridge in 1929, who was met at the station by Keynes, it was Russell with Moore who examined him for his PhD, accepting his Tractatus as his thesis.  I read an account of them slapping each other on the back in 1929, in a friendly way,  It would appear also that Russell supported Wittgenstein's appointment at Cambridge.
      I would suggest that if you wish to continue with this tale of Wittgenstein being awful and hated by Russell (or maybe it was only Wittgenstein hating Russell, who had approved his PhD in 1929), I would suggest you provide some sources.  It appears to me that you are really seriously misrepresenting history here to the point of possibly committing what you have been accusing Keynes of advocating.
Barkley Rosser