From:
"Wells, Julian" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 30 Jul 2014 16:11:03 +0100
Martin Tangora will know that many people have worried about the implicit division by zero involved in the traditional derivation of the differential calculus.

What he may not know -- but Alain Alcouffe certainly does! -- is that among the worried was no less a figure than Karl Marx, who left a substantial set of manuscripts dealing with the problem.

Assessments of Marx's efforts have varied (he was apparently unaware of contemporary work on limits), but Joseph Dauben has suggested that it contributed to interest in non-standard analysis among Chinese mathematicians.

Arcane as the topic may be, from the point of view of Marx's main work, his mathematical manuscripts have been translated into a number of languages, including one in French by our colleague Alain.

Julian