From:
Scot Stradley <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 28 Jul 2014 12:35:59 +0000
I don't have the quotes at fingertip, but the phrase probably refers to Berkeley's critique of the metaphysics of calculus.
Newton's method of determining the limit involved the use of triangles whose side adjacent to the curve was gradually
reduced so that the known properties of geometry could explain the slope of the curve.  Newton lays this out in Book
I of the Principia.  Obviously the size of the side facing the curve and the area of the triangle were gradually reduced--
hence the reference to vanishing quantities.

Scot A. Stradley, Ph.D.
Professor of Finance
Offutt School of Business
Concordia College