From:
Martin Tangora <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 29 Jul 2014 14:13:41 -0500
Disclosure:  I am a (retired) mathematician, and in particular a
(retired) teacher of calculus.

In my line of work we have all heard of Berkeley's "ghosts of departed
quantities," but most of us would probably not know that this witty
criticism was published in 1734.  There is a very satisfactory article
in Wikipedia on the Berkeley book, The Analyst, that gives plenty of
context for the jibe:

> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Analyst

I don't think that "ghostly fingers" has any connection to this.  As I
think some of you already have done, I checked the Google Ngram Viewer
for "ghostly fingers" and it does not appear until the 1830s.  There is
nothing about "fingers" in the Berkeley discussion.

An economics professor told my daughter, whose B.A. was in economics,
that grad school in economics was essentially mathematics.  Whether or
not that is true, I would have thought that all of you would know the
correct definition of the slope of a curve, which involves forming a
quotient, and then finding the limit as both members of that fraction
tend to zero.  One must strictly avoid actually setting the members to
zero, but the limit makes sense anyway.  And Berkeley is witty about it,
and can be said to be correct (see the Wiki referenced above), but
Berkeley is long gone, and the calculus is still very much with us.

--
Martin C. Tangora
tangora (at) uic.edu