From:
Daniele Besomi <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 3 Feb 2014 22:24:38 +0100
Thank you very much, Richard, for your illuminating post. The story is now becoming very interesting: not only the story of the origin of Say's law, but also the story of the criticism of the law.

One obvious connection that springs to mind concerns Marx. His interpretation of the gluts debate was framed by means of the reproduction schemes, which he elaborated from Quesnay's Tableaux representing the circular flow. Marx derived dynamic equilibrium conditions, that showed at once how reproduction can take place (against Mathus and Sismondi's view), and how it can go wrong (against Ricardo and Say), to which he added an explanation of why it must periodically go wrong. Note that, similarly to Robinet/Mercier and differently from Ricardo, Marx's argument is framed in terms of equilibrium.

A less known connection concerns another French writer, Aguste Ott. He was a social economist, who could escape the grip on publication outlets firmly held by the French liberals because he was writing in a Catholic encyclopedia. In 1854 he wrote an article on crises where he explicitly rejected Say's law, and did so by means of tableaux of exchanges that bear some similarity to Marx's schemes (I do not think Marx had read Ott's piece). Again, equilibrium and its conditions —that is, the possibility of the circular flow to take place-- were at the centre of the argument.

A third connection concerns the definition of crises that were formulated in the 19th century. Obviously most of them were published in dictionaries. In most dictionaries (in particular in France) crises were defined in terms of disturbances of the normal flow of business, and occasionally in terms of some of the features that characterize them. Other writers, however, defined crises as situations where equilibrium is disrupted. So we have on one side an undertsanding in terms of normal/abnormal, or health/disease (both couples are easily understandable, but ill-defined: health, indeed, was understood simply as the absence of disease, and normality as absence of abnormalities, without any precise and positive characterization), and on the other side an understanding in terms of equilibrium/disequilibrium. Now, all the latter writers were German. This is by no means an accident, since within a tradition where theorists openly questioned Say's law the debate was framed in terms of equilibrium between supply and demand, and on the conditions that guarantee such an equilibrium. Such a question obviously wouldn't make any sense for the upholders of Say's law, and wouldn't arise if the validity of Say's law was never questioned. Obviously the analytical perspectives opened by an analysis in terms of precise notions such as equilibrium and disequilibrium are further reaching than the possibilities opened by a discussion in terms of ill-defined concepts.

Knowing now that at the origin of Say's law there was a conceptualization in terms of the conditions of reproduction of a circular flow helps making sense of what was lost in the process and regained later, and helps placing in a broader context  the rescuing of the original problem.

Daniele Besomi