From:
Tiago Mata <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 26 Oct 2014 12:05:37 +0000
I am deeply saddened by this great loss.

Fred understood heterodox economics in its broadest sense and his
scholarship reflected this judgment. More than anyone else, he
established heterodox economics as a subject of historical inquiry.
Heterodox economics was for Fred primarily a community, which he
nurtured and shaped, through newsletters, networks, conferences and
organisations.

Fred and I co-wrote a paper on oral history and the history of
heterodox economics. The collaboration emerged after years of his
unfailing encouragement and generosity, sharing archives, ideas, and
patient corrections as I wrote a doctoral thesis on the history of
post keynesian and radical economics.

Fred's research was unfailingly serious, sourced, and thorough, and I
learned so much from him.

Tiago