From:
James Ahiakpor <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 10 Dec 2014 18:36:11 -0800
I welcome Robert Leonard's vigorous defense of Schumacher.  It is an
opportunity for me to drive home further the point I tried to make in my
first response to John Médaille, but which he appears to have missed.

The United Nations sent several economists into third world countries
(then sometimes called backward countries) in the 1950s to advise their
governments about how to promote economic growth or development.  As
John reports Schumacher to have learned,

> "I learned, for instance, that statistics can be very misleading. I
> had looked at the figures before going to Burma and found that it was
> one of the poorest countries in the world, with an annual per-capita
> income of only $50. And being totally ignorant, I expected to find
> poverty there as I had never seen it before. Instead, I found the
> happiest people I’d ever met. They were well-fed, beautifully dressed,
> and lived in houses that were suited to the climate. And they had
> time! They had no laborsaving machinery, but they had great bags of
> time in which to relax and be happy. There seemed to be no strain in
> Burma. The people there were the most joyous you could possibly
> encounter. They were living life as it should be lived. This
> contrasted sharply with what I found in the United States and Germany.
> There, in the two countries most cluttered with laborsaving machinery,
> life was a constant agitation. I loved America but I was bothered by
> the terrible pressure, the nervous strain, the number of people on
> psychiatrists' couches. … This led me to formulate an idea that I was
> tempted to release as the first law of economics: The amount of real
> leisure a society enjoys tends to be in inverse proportion to the
> amount of laborsaving machinery it employs."

Furthermore, John quotes Schumacher to have argued:

> "The implicit doctrine of development, which has been drummed into our
> ears for the last half century or so and upon which all of modern
> society is founded, holds up material wealth as the be-all, end-all of
> existence. “Do you want to be happy?” it asks. “Then become rich. And
> do you want to be happier still? Then become even richer. In fact you
> have not only the right to become rich . . . but the duty! The faster
> the better. And what is rich? Why material possessions—goods!—of
> course. The more and the bigger of everything you possess—and the
> faster you do it!—the better off you'll be. There is no such thing as
> ‘enough.’ You must always have more, more, more!”
>
> This tenet of life, if anything, is applied even more stringently to
> nations than to individuals. Which is why we now have this terrible
> fetish of measuring the gross national product of a country and
> dividing it by the number of people who live there to get the average
> income per head. And that figure then becomes the final indicator of
> the nation’s status in the world . . . while the prime object of
> admiration is not the income level that has already been attained, but
> its current rate of growth. In other words, more is always better . .
> . and it’s even better yet if you can get that “more” faster than the
> next country
> ​."

In the development economics literature, this debate over the meaning of
development and whether it is consistent with economic growth continued
for a very long time.  Humberto's quotation of Arthur Lewis's
contribution to the debate is an excellent example of those who pointed
to the misleading nature of the claims being made by the likes of
Schumacher.  It is only recently that economic growth is fundamental to
achieving economic development appears to have gained the upper hand.
Part of this results from the phenomenal success in China with the
millions of the population relieved from abject poverty since the
economic policy reforms (market freedom) initiated by Deng Xiaoping from
1976 onwards.  It used to be the case that some people (Westerners)
would go into China, come out and write stories about how great life was
in the communes, in contrast with the rat race in capitalist countries!

Even in modern macroeconomics, one still encounters the argument that
GDP is not a measure of people's well-being because it doesn't include
people's leisure time.  In guiding my students to reject the
meaningfulness of the claim, I ask them to choose whether to live in an
economy in which they have six hours of leisure time (not working) a
day, sit on a wooden chair, sleep on mattress made of reeds and on the
floor, in a room without electricity or air conditioning OR have only
two hours of leisure time, sit on a plush sofa, sleep on a plush bed,
have some beer or soft drink at the leisure time while watching
flat-screen TV, be in a room with electricity and air conditioning?  Of
course, they invariably choose the latter.  Why?  Because, they say, it
is the more "comfortable" life, reflecting a higher level of well-being,
which is also included in the calculation on a country's GDP.

Now, Leonard, missing all this rather invokes some credentials on behalf
of Schumacher, as if they had any relevance to the issue at hand. He
asserts:
> As son of economist Hermann Schumacher and as Rhodes Scholar in
> political economy at Oxford, Schumacher knew his Smith, Marx, Mill and
> many others besides.
My initial reaction was, John Maynard Keynes's father was Neville Keynes
(an economist at Cambridge) and Maynard knew Alfred Marshall.  What did
that matter for Keynes's understanding of classical economics or what
Marshall explains in his /Principles/? Then it also struck me to point
out that anyone familiar with Smith and Marshall, but writes a text in
economics with the sub-title "a Study of Economics as if People
Mattered," must have forgotten what these authors sought to teach.
Economics is always about people.  It is the "study of men in their
ordinary business of life," as Marshall writes in the /Princples/.  My
quotation of Smith about the desire of people to better themselves never
leaving them till they go into the grave also was to draw attention to
what was missing in Schumacher's arguments against the pursuit of
economic growth or material accumulation by people.

It is also irrelevant that Schumacher may have been "senior economist
for over twenty years with the National Coal Board ... and knew a thing
or two about large firms and profitability," as Leonard asserts.  It is
not only large firms that may pose a threat to the environment.  Small
firms may do so, if they can get away with it.  It is thus pointless to
argue  that
> It was his concern for the human, social and environmental impact of
> large-scale organization that led him to investigate the benefits of
> smaller scale and alternative kinds of ownership.
A state enforcing private property rights or its environmental laws is
rather the key to assuring environmental safety.

Leonard also argues:
> It should be noted that, when facing his detractors, many of whom were
> arrogant economist-types with "all the answers", Schumacher showed
> admirable restraint and charity.
I rather think that it takes a bit of arrogance for anyone to be
prescribing what Leonard suggests: "erring towards modest consumption
and the preservation of traditional forms of society."  Someone well
acquainted with Smith's writings, particularly his caution to the man of
system, would rather be inclined to leave people alone to pursue their
forms of well-being as they please.  So, my main critique of
Schumacher's argument and those who sympathize with him is this:
Happiness is a state of mind.  It is subjective.  It is also fleeting;
it comes and goes. Contentedness is not the same thing as happiness.
People in poverty may experience a state of happiness just as people in
affluence may do.  Religion also can be a great moderator of one's
mental condition.  Alas, Karl Marx had to undermine its usefulness by
declaring it the opiate of the people!  Nevertheless, human nature is
such that people want to increase their level of well-being or material
comfort all the time.  Those who face more obstacles in their way to
achieving the elevation of their state of material well-being my
experience fewer occasions of declaring themselves to be happy.  Why do
you think people risk death to enter the United States from its southern
border, illegally?

And note that this is how the so-called happiness studies conduct their
research.  They interview people at various periods in time.  If the
declared results don't seem to show a positive correlation between per
capita national income and the recorded answers to the happiness
"measures," they declare the irrelevance of wealth to being happy.  Were
they to record the number of times in a week or month that people felt
"happy" (if anyone spent time recording that), they might conclude
differently.  I therefore maintain my charge that Schumacer was not
cognizant of these facts -- the subjective (and fleeting) nature of
happiness and the desirability of pursuing material wealth for the
betterment of people.

BTW, I don't think I need to turn Buddhist to feel happy.  I'm happy
being a Roman Catholic.

James Ahiakpor

--
James C.W. Ahiakpor, Ph.D.