From:
Jeremy Shearmur <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 17 Aug 2014 04:57:29 +0000
It was certainly a controversial appointment because he was succeeding Laski.  There is some discussion of hostile reaction to his appointment by Crossman, in Paul Franco's Michael Oakeshott: An Introduction, p. 13.

I'm not sure where to go for what stands behind the appointment, other than suggesting that you might try the L.S.E. archives; there are, though, quite a few people who have worked on Oakeshott and you might try them individually.

One interesting earlier reaction to Oakshott, is on the second page of Popper's 'Towards a Rational Theory of Tradition' in his Conjectures and REfutations (the original version of the paper having been published in 1949.

Jeremy Shearmur