From:
Martin Tangora <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 31 Jul 2014 13:45:37 -0500
No expert on the history, I have been brushing up using Wikipedia, for
better or for worse.

I was surprised to learn that L'Hospital's famous calculus textbook
appeared in 1694, only a few years after Newton's Principia, and I hope
you all know that Newton & Leibniz had been involved in a continuing
dispute over priority for the development of calculus -- surely one of
the most important of all priority disputes.

Mason Gaffney's statement that the famous Rule was Bernoulli's is surely
true, but the statement that Bernoulli named the rule after his rich
patron does not agree very well with the wiki

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Guillaume_de_l%27H%C3%B4pital

which is detailed enough to have some credibility, and indicates that
L'H  published the rule without giving credit to B, which made B unhappy.

Certainly this Rule uses the ghosts of departed quantities, but Berkeley
was attacking Newton, so I took it that it was the definition of the
derivative that was in the line of fire, not L'H's rule.  I still do not
see any trace of ghostly "fingers" in the discussion from before
Berkeley's 1734 book.

Most calculus teachers of my acquaintance don't like L'Hospital's rule,
because students use it as a trick without understanding it, much less
appreciating the subtleties of its hypotheses.  But we all are familiar
with it, and a textbook writer is pretty much obliged to include it, to
avoid having the book blackballed (for the omission) by its enthusiasts.

The thread below was so garbled in my email client that I have deleted
most of it.  Hope there is no objection!

--
Martin C. Tangora
tangora (at) uic.edu