From:
Joe Horton <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 12 Sep 2014 20:31:21 -0500
Some of you might find this BBC story about Adam Smith's last home of
interest.  It is from July of this year.

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-scotland-edinburgh-east-fife-28326308

Joe Horton

Joseph Horton
Professor of Economics
UCA dedicates itself to Academic Vitality, Integrity, and Diversity

>>> Mason Gaffney <[log in to unmask]> 9/12/2014 2:10 PM >>>
Good Grief, do you realize how many sites could qualify?

There are several communities, for example, laid out and settled by
followers of Henry George: Canberra, in Australia, for example;
Fairhope, AL; Harvard, MA; Free Acres, NJ; etc.

There are utopian colonies everywhere, many of which have grown beyond
recognition: Salt Lake City, Anaheim, for example, and a dozen small
cities in California: Patterson, Reedley, Solvang, Atascadero come to
mind.

In Lincoln, NE, there is a memorial to the Homestead Act.  On Euclid
Ave. in southern California there is a statue to “The Madonna of the
Trail”.

There are memorials to noted socio-economic reformers all around: Mt.
Rushmore, SD;  Altgeld’s statue in Chicago; Jefferson’s and
Lincoln’s memorials in D.C.; T.R.’s summer white house on
Sagamore Hill, L.I.; FDR’s memorial at Hyde Park.

One of my favorites, a tiny one, is a statue at the corner of Sheridan
Rd. and Lloyd Place in Winnetka, IL.  It was erected by Progressive
muckraker Henry Demarest Lloyd, showing a homeless man huddled on a
bench closing his collar against the cold and damp to survive the bitter
night.

On a vaster scale there are our National Parks, and scores of city and
state parks, each one a memorial to some or many reformists (whether
writers or not) who thought the land belongs to the people – all the
people.  In Marin Cnty, CA, there is Muir Woods, gift of socially minded
Wm. Kent in honor of John Muir.

There are even some company towns, like Gary, IN, whose benefactors
intended them to show the best side of benevolent capitalistic
despotism.  Paul Samuelson and Joe Stiglitz both benefited from high
quality education at Gary H.S.

In Limoges there is a Turgot Avenue, and I surmise other memorials to
that great economist.

In Taipeh there are huge murals of Sun Yat-Sen all over town.

One could go on and on.  But let us not think that a few early
“Satanic Mills” exhaust the genus!

Mason Gaffney