AAOLIST Archives

AAOLIST@YORKU.CA

From:
"German, Daniel" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
German, Daniel
Date:
Tue, 23 Sep 2014 20:33:37 +0000
Hi Darcy

It looks to me like it is based upon a municipal crest for Guelph.  The snake is actually the lion's tail, with the lion standing on a crown (in this case it appears to be the Imperial crown, normally used to signify that the monarch in question is a male, this works for the time 1929, although a statement on the City of Guelph website re the city's original arms indicates that it was topped by " the supposed Guelphic crown with a lion on it ... representing Guelph's link with the British Royal family).  The itself city was named Guelph (again from the city's own website) "because it was one of the family names of the British royal family, and it had apparently never been used as a place name before" and the arms included " the symbolic white running horse of Hanover, the ancient principality in Germany where the Guelph royal connections go back 1,000 years" (http://guelph.ca/living/about-guelph/).

The running horse is the replicated upon the arms or crests of a number of agencies in that municipality, including the police force and the university.

Daniel German