From:
Hugh Rockoff <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 6 Jun 2012 11:17:21 -0400
Eichengreen's work is very important. You could also listen to Tom Sargent's Nobel Prize lecture which was on exactly this topic and is on the Nobel Prize Website. It was published in the JPE.

A number of economic historians have also written about the history  of the U.S. and other monetary unions -- My colleague Mike Bordo, Lars Jonung, Farley Grubb, Arthur Rolnick, and Warren Weber, come immediately to mind. I am not without sin. Google should reveal all.