From:
Uskali Mäki <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 14 Nov 2014 23:08:05 +0200
I would say one is not compelled to make a choice between use and
belief, so no sharp dichotomy here. Depending on the intended or
justified use of a model, and on how good the model is, one is
permitted or even advised to believe some parts or aspects of the
model (insofar as its relations to its target are concerned). Models
are far more complex creatures than what most practicing economists or
historians or methodologists of economics have been able to clearly
articulate. Mark Blaug's concern is one that troubled economists of
the 19th century already.
c uskali mäki

--
--