From:
Alan G Isaac <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 13 Dec 2014 15:45:47 -0500
First to dispense of some distracting preliminaries.  By observing that
social science research is ideologically infused -- and I believe this
was clear from context -- I meant no respect to social scientists, nor
did I intend to introduce anything that might not be expected to be a
commonplace on the SHOE list.  I have in mind only the usual observations
in the history of science and in the history of economics.  In context,
I was saying that the fact we can detect indeological influences in the
writings of von Mises is not a reason to discard his *arguments*. To
invoke von Mises ideology as a reason to discard his arguments is, as
I said, simply argumentum ad hominem (by the usual definition).

John Médaille appears to misunderstand the function of words in
philosophy and social science.  He accuses Mises of Humpty Dumptyism.
But  Humpty Dumpty does not tell us how he is using a term unless
we ask, so this is almost the opposite of the truth.  Mises seizes existing
words for new uses, but tells us up front how he intends to use them.  This is
standard practice in philosophy and social science; the days in which
people believe that somehow a word had an essential meaning beyond its
use are long gone, and we no longer spend time asking whether, as John puts
it, a definition is "true".  A definition is just a definition, and it
proves its usefulness in use.  As I mentioned, economists have commandeered
terms like 'utility' and 'rationality' in the same way, so that they use
these words in ways that naturally puzzle the unindoctrinated.

John proposes that "when we move from the world of pure forms to the worlds
of matter and human intentionality, there are no axioms", which sounds
puzzlingly axiomatic.  And it is also wrong.  Hard science and social science
both lean heavily on mathematics, which is heavily axiomatized.  The question
is not whether we will invoke axioms -- say the axioms of sentential logic
-- when doing social science, the question is whether axiomatic approach of
praxeology can help us do better social science.  I am not taking a position
on this, but in order to even discuss it, we need to have some understanding
of what praxeologists were saying, and we cannot have that if we insist that
they are not permitted to use words *as they defined them* in laying out their
arguments.

John proposes what we examine human behavior "without preconceived notions
or arbitrary 'axioms'".  Approaching any subject without preconceived notions
is I think generally granted to be impossible, so I suppose he means that we
should keep an open mind.  Yes, I would urge that.  I can agree that avoiding
arbitrary axioms is generally a good idea, although I suspect the history of
mathematics will offer some conflicting cases.  However, to offer this as
a retort in the current conversation is to presume that the axioms of praxeology
are arbitrary, and that remains a case to be made.

Alan Isaac