From:
"Colander, David C." <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 19 Dec 2014 17:21:38 +0000

I agree with Roger that  our differences involve primarily interpretations.

In my view, I have never claimed that Tarshis's book was only killed by political forces. I specifically argued that at the time there was a larger movement away from an older style text, which Tarshis represented, to a new style text which Samuelson was the template for.  The newer style was more seemingly scientific; it avoided the nuances of policy that older texts dealt with--generally poorly. That's the point I made in my survey papers of the changing texts, and that I have made in my other writing about changes in methodology at the time.   It was not only in macro--it was also in micro--older books discussed precepts--here is what a reasonable economist would have to say about a policy issue. The newer books discussed models and theorems--here is what the model has to say about a policy issue.  They were different and the earlier style had ideology out there for people to see. The newer ones hid that ideology, and thus benefitted from an attack on ideology.  In the old books, the market was good because it gave individuals freedom--in the newer books the market was good because it was efficient generally, although somegovernment action was needed to correct for market failures.

 The political environment pushed textbooks toward a science approach that presented policy as following from models and science, not from ideology. Tarshis, because he was part of the Keynesian group who were seen as progressives (radicals), fell afoul of the pro-market ideology group and was singled out, and his book suffered.   But he was a minor player, and  easy to drop. I can totally agree that even without the pressure from the letter writing campaign,  his book would likely have been dropped, but my argument is that is is unlikely that it would have occurred anywhere nearly as fast as it happened without that campaign.  In terms of other people's  points--Buckley had little to do with Tarshis's demise. He was writing in 1951 and was just repeating claims (with their mistakes and everything) made in the letter-writing campaign earlier.)  By then the Tarshis book was essentially out of the picture.

Concerning  survey that Roger discusses--I read his piece and you can see the difference in Roger's and my interpretation in what we take from the report.  In his email  reports that in this survey there were 37 serious attacks, which he doesn't see as significant.  But doesn't state how many surveys there were.  When I looked, it was 37 serious and 48 total attacks listed out of 144 total surveys, so  about a third of the respondents reported some type of outside pressure about texts.  That's about one third of the respondents. From my point of view, that is a very high percentage--if I sent out a survey now, I would expect close to zero  professors feeling outside pressure.   With one third of the professors feeling some type of outside pressure, that suggests to me that the situation was quite different than it is now, and that subtle political pressure could have played a role in the sudden demise of Tarshis's book.  I think that Roger agrees; he was interpreting me as saying that the outside pressure was the only cause of Tarshis's demise, which I certainly did not mean to imploy. So I did not mean to argue  that Samuelson's book didn't play a role, or that there were no other reasons why.  On that we both agree.

 I think this period is very important--the Tarshis book is only a minor issue, and not especially important. But the larger change that occurred in texts during this time--the movement to abstract models and directly drawing policy implications from theory, to not seeing policy as necessarily ideological and involving issues that go far beyond economics--over time changed economics in ways that were, in my view,  problematic.  It created a policy frame that missed many of the important issues of policy.   That, as least, is the argument that I make in my recent Complexity and the Art of Public Policy book.

Dave