From:
"Rosser, John Barkley - rosserjb" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 24 Oct 2012 21:53:30 +0000
Rob,
     According to Pirenne, the low point of European monetary history was after the Moorish conquest of Spain, with Charlemagne partly countering this with his creation of the livre, valued initially at a pound of silver (later taken to England as the pound sterling).  Of course, the attacks and depradations by the Vikings, along with the disuputes among Charlemagne's heirs would bring Europe to its demographic and broader economic low point in the 10th century.

Regarding Braudel, I do not see what relevance the accuracy or lack thereof, much less who was funding him, has to do with his discussions of European economic and demographic history.

The other signal difference between Europe and the Muslim world in the 15th century, was the invention and adoption of the printing press in Europe.  Many have argued that Ottoman resistance to adopting it was both materially as well as symbolically at the heart of how and why Christian Europe would surge ahead of the Muslim Ottoman Empire eventually, even if in 1453, the Ottomans had the superior military technology when they conquered Constantinople.

Barkley