From:
Robert Leeson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 16 Nov 2014 06:13:51 -0800
Phillips' PID system was designed to *compress* the swing of the business cycle (by analysing automatic, rules-based, counter-cyclical devices).

The "original Phillips curve paper" was published in 1954 in the EJ (and can also be found in his 1953 PhD). The Economica and later papers were empirical illustrations.