Date:
Fri, 12 Dec 2014 05:28:14 -0500
Andrew Watson – “Free access to the link is available for the month of
December” - This link just recycles me back to the abstract, if anyone can
assist with the full article I would be most grateful.

DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1017/S0022050714000904

Andrew Murray Watson is a long time hero of mine, not for this work, but for
his earlier, 1967, classic “Back to Gold, and Silver”.  It chronicles the
huge restructuring of later mediaeval European economic life, as possibly
2,000+ tons of currency - silver - was shipped out of Europe into Islam
around the 13th and 14th centuries.  This silver was exchanged for gold, as
a narrow elite, with Florentine bankers at their head, took control of the
finances of the continent, and handed it to a mistress that William Langland
called ‘Lady Fee’.

I have long assumed that Watson acted bravely but injudiciously by stating
his conclusion on that event quite so baldly.