From:
Michael Nuwer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 21 Jan 2015 21:07:26 -0500
Richard Lewontin offers a useful definition of evolution that
differentiates it from development. By that definition, Marx, Marshall
and Schumpeter are not applying evolutionary thought.

"Development is a transformational theory of change. In transformational
theories the entire ensemble of objects changes because each individual
object undergoes during its lifetime the same law-like history. ... In
contrast, the Darwinian theory of organic evolution is based on a
variational model of change. The ensemble of individuals changes, not
because each individual is undergoing a parallel development during its
life, but because there is variation among individuals and some variants
leave more offspring than others." (The Triple Helix, pp. 8-9)

Michael Nuwer