From:
Duncan Foley <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 27 Jan 2015 09:05:00 -0500
I apologize to James Ahiakpor for sloppily writing “diminishing returns” rather than “decreasing returns to scale”.

The point is that if individual producers have non-convex production technologies (for example with positive fixed input costs) they will typically choose corner solutions at which some of the marginal first-order conditions for optimization hold as inequalities. In practical terms (which is likely the way Smith thought of it) they would tend to specialize in the production of one good, and thereby depend on exchange to reproduce. Under these circumstances there is a strong network externality in that when any producer accepts one commodity in exchange for its specialized product, this increases the incentives for other producers to accept the same commodity. The familiar result will be multiple stable equilibria differing in just which commodity is universally accepted.

Once a system of monetary exchange (Marx’s “commodity production”) emerges, however, money is not going to be a “veil” unless credit and capital markets are perfect, which we know (and Smith and Marx and Keynes knew) they are not. Sale and purchase are separated and the velocity of money can vary. The technical reasons for these effects are that the shadow prices of producers for money differ between purchase and sale, or, in more modern language, producers in general will be “liquidity-constrained”.

Duncan Foley

Duncan K. Foley
Leo Model Professor
New School for Social Research