From:
Alan G Isaac <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 16 Aug 2015 10:07:55 -0400
Russell's target was not conventional prior beliefs and
certainly not Keynes or Wittgenstein.  A fuller quote is:

         "The fever of Nationalism which has been increasing
         ever since 1848 is one form of the cult of unreason.
         The idea of one universal truth has been abandoned;
         there is English truth, German truth, Montenegran
         truth, and truth for the principality of Monaco.
         Similarly there is truth for the wage-earner and
         truth for the capitalist. Between these different
         ‘truths’, if rational persuasion is despaired of,
         the only possible decision is by means of war and
         rivalry in propagandist insanity."

In the same essay (The Ancestry of Fascism) we find:

         "In view of the failure to find an answer to Hume,
         `reason' can no longer be regarded as something
         absolute, any departure from which is to be
         condemned on theoretical grounds.  Nevertheless,
         there is obviously a difference, and an important
         one, between the frame of mind of (say) the
         philosophical radicals and such people as the early
         Mohammedan fanatics.  If we call the former temper
         of mind reasonable and the latter unreasonable, it
         is clear that there has been a growth of unreason in
         recent times."

Clearly this is not meant to indict Keynes or Wittgenstein,
even implicitly.  What Russell was opposing in this essay
was people who used force rather than persuasion to clinch
their "arguments".

Cheers,
Alan Isaac