From:
Robert STEWART <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Robert STEWART <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 13 Sep 2015 02:40:07 +0000
  Back in February, 2013, many of us, on the 150th anniversary of its publication, read once again the first article to bear the signature Mark Twain. To us, today, it is a bit of a ho-hum report of a dinner party in Carson City, with perhaps a smile for "the Unreliable." In my article in the upcoming issue of the Mark Twain Journal, the reader will discover what the reader in 1863 already knew about the people mentioned, and why Twain assigned to them, in his dream, the songs they sang. It provides a whole new aspect to Twain's initiation of the name that would become known around the world. I hope you enjoy that new take on an old story. As one of my personal editors said, Horace Smith's travails are worthy of a story on their own.