From:
"Womack Jr., John" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 7 Mar 2016 18:31:05 +0000
From way outside I take the liberty of seconding mäki on the English translations of Menger and "the Historical School." They are precisely "often horrifyingly misleading." From the English translation and edition of Menger's "Grundsätze," or the English renditions of Bücher's or Roscher's works, you cannot understand the originals. If you intend to rely much on secondary literature, be sure, as mäki suggests, Tribe too, do not trust arguments based on English translations; trust only authors who've worked on the originals.

-----Original Message-----
From: Societies for the History of Economics [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Uskali Mäki
Sent: Monday, March 07, 2016 6:59 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: [SHOE] Literature on the Methodenstreit

Most of the relevant secondary literature has been in German. All too little (and good) has been written in English. As to the primary lit, one should exercise caution in using the English translations of Untersuchungen, let alone the texts by the 'historical' 'school' - would be advisable always to double check with the original. My impression overall is that most of the lit has been all too coarse and over-simplifying and over-generalising. What one finds in textbooks and elsewhere is often horrifyingly misleading. Refined conceptual tools are needed for understanding the Streit - well, if not that (the participants seldom put forth very elaborated views themselves), then at least for drawing useful lessons from it.

In the name of sweet and shameful self-promotion:
"Universals and the Methodenstreit: A re-examination of Carl Menger's conception of economics as an exact science", Studies in History and Philosophy of Science, 28, 1997, 475-495.

c uskali mäki

--
Uskali Mäki
Academy Professor