From:
David Teira <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 10 Dec 2015 20:31:58 +0100
Dear listmembers,

I am trying to gather references on the following problem: to what
extent the tractability of a theory justifies that scientists stick to
it, despite their empirical flaws? My case in point would be expected
utility theory. It seems mathematically convenient and allows us to
explain how certain equilibria are achieved in game theory.

This seems a widely shared intuition, but I am seeking for texts with
more explicit arguments about the tractability of EUT (or any other
mathematical theory in economics): Would you point out texts featuring
such arguments? Please, do it off-list and if anybody is interested I
can compile a list and share it later.

Thanks in advance
David