From:
James Ahiakpor <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 16 Sep 2015 13:35:38 -0700
A great deal of debate or disputes in economics tend to arise from
different meanings assigned to terms.  Robert Leeson's questions relate
to the meaning of "money."  I have pointed out the confusion that the
modern definition of money as anything that is used as a medium of
exchange, which is different from the classical definition of money as
the particular commodity that serves as the unit of account, and cited
references.  He ignores these.  I will try for the last time to indicate
the relevance of the classical definition of money as the unit of account.

Robert Leeson wrote:
> Since I am re-familiarizing myself with material that I haven't encountered for years: can we agree terms?
>
> M0 = C (currency in circulation)
> H = MB = C + R
> M = C + D
>
> "M0 (I prefer H, high-powered money)"??
M = C + D = C + R + BC; BC = bank credit.  Thus, M = H + BC.  Bank
Credit is a function of the public's currency-deposit ratio and banks'
reserve-deposit ratio (over and above a central bank's required
reserve-deposit ratio).  Because of this, a central bank does not
control BC; it may influence it by variations in its required
reserve-deposit ratio.  What a central bank controls is the volume of H,
the unit of account.  It cannot control M, whether M1, M2, etc.  Robert
may want to download Robert Greenfield and Leland Yeager's 1986 _SEJ_
article, "Money and Credit Confused: An Appraisal of Economic Doctrine
and Federal Reserve Procedure" for some implications of mixing credit
with money in our modern discourse.

The relevance of the classical Quantity Theory of Money that Robert
appears to be questioning deals with HV = Y = Py = 1/k(H).   Thus, the
proportion of their income (k) that the public desires to keep as cash
does affect the price level or the valuation of produced goods and
services.  The higher the proportion, the lower the value of y (Y), and
vice versa.

> "Thus, if a central bank keeps the quantity of money (H) unchanged and yet prices rise, we can expect that this would have been brought about by either a decrease in output or a decrease in the demand for money to hold, or a combination of the two events"??
>
> 1. C has increased from just under $400 billion (1994) to $1.38trillion (August 2015); while M2 has increased from $3.4 to $12.1 trillion.
M2 is not under the control of a central bank.  It is mostly the savings
of the public.

> How much of C circulates abroad (and thus has no significant influence on US Y?)
What does knowing the exact amount matter?  If more goes abroad,
domestic prices would be lower than if less goes abroad.

> 2. Money retains it's role as a unit of account in a cashless society - deposits (which continue to be denominated as in the same units as before) become the sole medium of exchange.
>
> It would therefore *not* be 'hard to estimate their total value into something called "national income".' M = D: therefore D.V = Y.
>
> Since C = 0, why examine its relationship to Y?
I have disputed the claim or meaningfulness of a "cashless society."  In
spite of the great innovations in the payment system since 1994,  to use
Robert's dating of the four-fold increase in currency in circulation,
some people still hold on to the idea of a "cashless society."
Shouldn't the amount of cash in circulation decrease if we were heading
in the direction of 0/Y?

> 3. It seems unusual to call 'money' that which is not money (R or H) - and will not become 'money' unless Goldman Sachs et al. chose to stop severing the flow of 'monetary' policy.
This is Robert's own problem.  Use the classical definition, and only H
is money.
> 4. Monetary policy should be called 'interest rate policy'.  The Fed controls the Federal funds rate (while 'the cartel' manipulates libor) - but they do not control the money supply.
Monetary policy, properly, should be variations in H (aimed at keeping
the price level constant, replicating what a commodity-money system as
in the classical period would have produced via the price specie-flow
mechanism), not interest rate targeting.  BTW, the Fed does NOT control
the Fed Funds Rate.  Check the data, and you'll find that it varies on a
daily or weekly basis.  The Fed claims to be targeting it between 0% and
.25%.  It varied between 0.39% in November 2008 and  0.07% in July 2011,
rising to 0.16% and falling back to that level in February 2014.  The
word "control" should mean keeping the value at a rate the Fed chooses.
The Fed influences the rate by its participation in the Federal Funds
market: purchases or sales of securities.
> Indeed, monetary targeting was abandoned in the mid-1980s because of the inability of central banks to hit their targets.
>
> 5. "Central banks profit from creating money". Central Banks profit by receiving interest from their assets (typically, Treasury securities) and from not paying interest on C (one of their liabilities) and - typically - not paying interest on the other component of their liabilities (R). They would continue to make a profit if C disappeared.
C will not disappear!  There is always some convenience for holding
cash.  Think about the difficulty of wanting to give your 10-year old
niece $10.  Swiping your credit card?  And what happens when the
electricity goes out?
> 6. Is it helpful to policy-makers to think in terms of an equation involving variables over which they have very little control?
My point, exactly!  Policymakers should ignore Milton Friedman's
insistence on M1 or M2 as the relevant variable a central bank should
want to control.  The variable they should be concerned about is H, the
classical money.  Incidentally, when Friedman finally got tired of
urging central bankers to control the growth of M1 or M2, it was to H
that he resorted in 1984, calling for its growth rate to be zero:
freezing the monetary base.  Similarly, in his Free to Choose video
illustrating the cure for inflation, it was the stop button to the money
printing machine in Washington, DC, that he hit.

> (I am not sure what questions James wishes me to answer).
Next time, please read my statements carefully.  The first question was,
why doesn't Robert recognize the self-contradiction in noting a
four-fold increase in the quantity of currency in circulation and yet
protesting that the Fed "prints money"?  Must not the Fed print money
for its quantity to increase?  The second question was, why is it
meaningless to notice the rise or fall of a ratio?  It is much too
wasteful of time to be talking past each other.  I shall from now on
ignore any more questions that derive from not paying paying attention
to what I've earlier said.  I believe some readers on the list get
tired, even annoyed, reading repetitions of the same points.

James Ahiakpor