From:
Robert Leeson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 24 Feb 2016 10:18:58 +0000
Two types of 'rights' conflict and may be irreconcilable: human and voting rights versus the 'divine' right of kings, states and 'the' market (that is, sovereign producers). The first is either denied to, or adheres to, an individual; the second is a myth-based justification for a power structure.

Many of those who promote 'economic' liberalism (that is, 'property' ) also seek a more secure foundation for their intergenerational entitlement programs than 'political' liberalism. Hence, 'economic liberalism' when applied with ruthless consistency means the (almost) complete abandonment of 'political liberalism': eugenic cleansing, death squads, torture, and the end of universal suffrage and universal subsidized education.

Secular social contracts - such as the Mayflower Compact - can be undertaken by the religious: they also (unintentionally) distance 'divine' power and can provide for the separation of Church and State.

Not having addressed these issues for decades, I was hoping for a short-cut into the literature ...