From:
James Ahiakpor <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 5 Dec 2016 22:58:50 -0800
Many thanks to Erik Thompson.  I found the fuller version more enlightening.

Surprising that Bernard Weisberger and Marshall Steinbaum, authors of
the piece, don't find the claims they attribute to Richard Ely and his
young associates regarding the fate of labor rather one-sided.  I find
it a good thing that the young Turks were forced by circumstances to
moderate their initial radical views on behalf of labor, including:

"Since workers need jobs to feed their families, they cannot withhold
their labor from the market when demand is scarce in order to sustain
high wages.  That forces them to bear the brunt of recurrent, severe
recessions by suffering wage cuts" (p. 11) and "a recession reduces
demand for labor by definition, which contributes to the power imbalance
favoring employers inherent to the labor market" (p. 12).

Nowhere is it observed that employers also incur losses from recessions,
even as the authors write: "Ely recognized wage stickiness as well."  It
is such wage stickiness that creates the forced saving, benefiting
profit earners (and increasing employment) when prices rise in a boom
and losses (and increased unemployment) when prices fall (or their
growth rate decreases) in a recession.  This is a classical economic
principle Alfred Marshall, Irving Fisher, and Frank Taussig subsequently
restated. Ely and his young associates' affinity to the German
Historical School, in rebellion to classical deductive analysis, may
have been a hindrance to their even-handedness in considering the fate
of labor.

James Ahiakpor

--
James C.W. Ahiakpor, Ph.D.