From:
"Colander, David C." <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 28 Feb 2016 16:20:07 +0000
Robert uses the term, tax based incomes policy,  in a way that is quite different than the way it is generally used. Since the use ties into the cost push issue, I will comment briefly on it.
Tax based incomes policies refered to policies involving taxes on increasing wages or prices (incomes) not to supply side polices of Laffer, as Robert suggests.

The best way to think of Tips (as they were calle3d) is as a variant of Abba Lerner's and my market based incomes policy (Our book was called MAP: That Market Anti Inflation Plan) which created property rights in value added prices, and required any agent raising his value added price (his income) to buy the right from another who lowered his by an offsetting amount. The plan forced all price changes to be relative price changes, because the unit of account is stabilized by law. We saw MAP as  a generalization of incomes policy. It was designed to be contrasted with regulatory incomes policies and to provide a theory of incomes policies, showing how they were not necessarily anti-market at all. They just involves a different specification of property rights.

The cost push issue  enters in by considering what price the price of raising price would be, and how it would be related to the pressure in the economy. If there was no inflationary pressure the price of raising price would be zero.  If there was deflationary pressure, there would be a negative price, and if there was inflationary pressure the price would be positive. I argued that because of institutional factors affecting price dynamics, there would be a tradeoff between the price of raising price and the NAIRU, or capacity at which the economy could operate. This tradeoff corresponded to the Phillips curve, but related unemployment to the MAP credit price, not inflation.  By making this relationship the goal was to capture what an incomes policies was meant to do--to change the level of unemployment that had to be accepted to prevent accelerating inflation. It had nothing to do with statics--it had to do with dynamics, and thus all the discussion of monopoly (as opposed to monopolization) was off point.

There's much more to be said about the plan and incomes policies.  M goal here is definitely not to get into a discussion of the theory and the  plan. Instead, I just want to relate it to the cost push issue, which both Abba and I wrote about.  The "cost push" theories of inflation can best be understood as a reaction to demand pull theories of inflation. They argued that in general equilibrium, the Walrasian ge model did not capture the dynamics of the price adjustment process, and that in a reasonable discussion of those dynamics, both supply side factors and demand side factors had to be taken into account.   The two operated as two blades of a scissors, and affected the nature of the steady state dynamic equilibrium that the economy reached.  Our argument was the dynamics affected the steady state equilibrium, but it was an argument that the profession did not want to explore. A cost push theory of inflation alone is stupid, but so too is a demand pull theory which is the primary theory that existed, and is what the early cost push theorists were reacting to.

Dave Colander