From:
Paul Turpin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 8 Oct 2009 16:01:04 -0400
Fred Folvary wrote "In a pure market economy, all activity is
voluntary for everyone."

But what roles do social constraints (social authority, as against
government authority) play in limiting the meaning of voluntariness?
What basis do we have for discussing the distance between "what I
would prefer above all else" and "what I will assent to given the
circumstances"? Surely the second involves a weighing of all sorts of
costs that would generally come under the heading of economic
thinking. Why is not a cost that stems from a government action the
same as any other cost? Or is it simply that it would be an
*additional* cost?

Paul Turpin