From:
Roger Sandilands <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 9 May 2017 16:30:15 +0000
William Baumol was one of the participants at a special HOPE conference at Duke University in April 2008 on the Solow growth model, at which Baumol gave a critique of endogenous growth theory (see Annual Supplement to volume 41, 2009). I was one of the reviewers of his paper and I complained that he had been too modest in not referencing his own brilliant critique of growth theory in his The Free-Market Innovation Machine (2002) that certainly deserves to be better known. Baumol subsequently added this footnote for the published version of his paper:
      It was my intention here to minimize references to my own work, but I must confess my weakness in acquiescing instantly to the request of an (anonymous) reviewer that I amplify the discussion by indicating the alternative approaches I have taken to the pertinent issues, particularly in my book The Free-Market Innovation Machine (2002), especially chapters 8, 14 and 15 (the chapters kindly singled out by the reviewer).
Around this time, at one of the annual SHOE conferences, Mark Blaug very confidently predicted to me that Baumol would be the next recipient of the Nobel prize. Sadly this was not to be.
In passing, I would also mention that Baumol corresponded with Lauchlin Currie regarding his paper on “Say’s (at least) Eight Laws…”that Steve Kates has mentioned. It was one influence on Currie’s own insistence on the continuing relevance of classical over Keynesian growth theory and policy.

-        Roger Sandilands